Tuesday, November 10, 2009

How I would Build the Giants This Off-Season

Let me start off by saying the Giants are well on there way to being a serious contender in Baseball once again

I recently looked at all available Free Agents this off-season & have created my shopping list for the Giants

Team Needs

  • Big Bat!! (obviously)

Bay or Jermaine Dye

Dye Age 35-36

I know his age is up there however give him a short 2yr maybe 3 at the most 6-8 Million a yr

Would be a good signing for the Giants... he hit 27 HR 81 RBI he was hurt last yr but this is a very good player

How I would Negotiate with him

Baseball negotiations are tricky if JD wants 8 M a yr that's fine make him take the 2yr contact if he wants the 3yr deal give him the 6 M option

2yr 8= 16 / 3yr 6=18

Jason Bay

He will obviously set the Market for OF this off-season some say Matt Holiday will I don't see it Bay in my opinion is by far the better player

36 HR 119 RBI

He just turned 31... one of the reason's I like Jason better than Matt is he seems to be the more professional/polished hitter he can hit in any ballpark he doesn't go out an try to hit HR all the time he lets the HR come to him...

The rumor is he will ask for 4yr 60M

I wouldn't have a problem giving that to him the guy is a stud and as I previously stated the guy can hit anywhere..

4 yrs 15M

Don't forget that the Giants have a new owner and I can guarantee you he wants to send a message to the fans/competition


The Giants need a bridge to Posey to let him grow he is not ready

Jason Kendall/ Pudge

I don't see the Giants giving Molina more then a 2 yr deal & they shouldn't... The rumor is The Mets want him fine that wont make them a WS contender they have a ton of problems

Singing Pudge/Kendall would be a perfect fit here look were not asking them to be big offensive contributes (although it would be nice) we want them to give us the professional AB and teach Posey how to call games/ run a pitching staff

I would give either one of those guys 2yrs 10-12M which is what the Giants are offering Molina anyway maybe give them a little less depending on the market

I believe Molina is by far the better player I just wouldn't give him the 3rd yr he is looking for Posey should be ready in 2yrs.


The Giants need a guy who can play anywhere

Harriston JR or Derosa..... grab Nady as a fall back if they don't get Bay or JD

I know Derosa was hurt last yr but when healthy this guy can play well and play anywhere the same can be said about Harriston JR...

These 3 are gap to gap hitters which is what the Giants Park is... getting one of these guys would be a nice fit

give them 2-3yr deals 4 to 5 guaranteed with some incentives to boost the total contract amount

Don't let Penny go anywhere!!!!! he belongs in the NL and he thrived with Giants

Look when right this guy is a stud/innings eating with some swagger the Giants would be stupid to let him go.... he is only 30-31

once again 2 or 3 yr deal 5 -6M.... Pettitte is prolly going to get that type of deal last yr he got 1yr 5.... so that's a legit range

A part of me thinks the Giants should buy out Edgar Renteria and sign Jack Wilson. Plus remember the Giants already have Freddie Sanchez Jacks former DP Partner. Jack is once
again a professional hitter who goes gap to gap.


Projected Roster

C Kendall/ Pudge

1B Panda

2nd Sanchez

SS Jack/Renteria

3rd Derosa/ if they don't sign him and get JR expect (Panda 3rd 1B Garko don't hate on Garko yet)

OF Nate S/Velez

OF Rowand

OF Bay/Dye


SP TL

SP Cain

SP Zito

SP Sanchez

SP Penny


The main Bullpen is already set go out an get some guys who can eat innings


There you have it if the Giants want to be serious contenders next yr make those moves

1 comment:

  1. It pisses me off when I hear Posey is not ready!!! He has only played 40 innings with 17 at bats!!! Thats only a little over 4 games. I'd say 95% of Giants have made this same determination. Save your money (Pudge type) and spend on Bay!

    ReplyDelete